Kelsey and I both heard this same thought on the Radio Today. We were in separate cars going different places but heard the same message. It was on KLove. The full message is on their website. This is a paraphrase of what we liked.
"If you don't live for the Lord you'll end up living for something or someone else. You may not have thought of it that way but essentially that's what ends up happening.
If your life is centered on:
- Your partner or spouse, you'll end up becoming dependent, maybe at times jealous and controlling. The other's problems will be overwhelming for because your life is centered on them and what they do or don't do.
- Your children, you may try and live your life through them. You end up totally devastated when they don't do what you want or when things don't turn out the way you thought they would or should.
- Work and career, you end up becoming driven and a workaholic, empty when retirement comes. If the career goes badly, you may become depressed or perpetually unsatisfied.
- Money and possessions, you end up eaten by jealousy about money and may do unethical things to maintain lifestyle equal to things portrayed in the media or equal to others around you.
- Yourself, pleasure, gratification and comfort, you end up finding yourself addicted to something and selfish.
- Relationships and approval, you end up constantly overly hurt by criticism and losing friends. You will fear confronting others.
- A noble cause (global warming), you end up dividing the world into good and bad, us and them, which can demonize your opponents. Without them, you have no purpose.
- Religion and morality, if you are living up to your standards you end up proud and self-righteous. If you are not, your guilt will be devastating.
"If you live your life for God, and you make mistakes, God will lead, guide, and forgive you." The only way to be totally fulfilled and satisfied is to live for God. This is how Christ exemplified and showed this principle in action. 3 Nephi 27:13 "Behold I have given unto you my gospel, and this is the gospel which I have given unto you—that I came into the world to do the will of my Father, because my Father sent me." Christ did the will of His Father. He lived to do His will.
Many addictions behaviors and sins are attempts to fill an inner void. Because we cannot stand the God-shaped hole inside us and we try stuffing it full of all sorts of things, or causes but only God can fill it.
Tay and Kels